Thursday, October 14, 2010

Surrounded By the Fight...

Well, wallah! Here's my first official blog entry. No reason for starting a blog other than to clear my mind and put more mind vomit into this technological universe that we are all so desperately addicted to.

Dave has a fight (MMA) this weekend in SLC. He hasn't fought in over a year. It's a great promoter, looks to be a well-matched fight, and he is co-main event. Very exciting and very nervewracking. Obviously, it's a fight I can't help him with. Once the cage closes and the bell rings, all I can do is pray for the safety of the fighters and have faith that if it's meant to go in Dave's favor, then it will. I always wonder how much God leaves up to the fighters or if He has already predetermined the outcome, or if He changes it in the final seconds. The only thinking that helps me when Dave loses is believing that everything happens for a reason. Otherwise, I would drive myself crazy, fists pounding towards the skies, screaming WHY?! I suppose it's not really my place to ask God 'why' about trivial things like cage-fighting. So I try not to.

Before Dave fights, however, I will be attending the premiere of a film I worked on earlier this year. That's where I step into my own ring, cross my fingers, and hope people still want to hire me afterwards, or at least don't disregard me completely. What Dave and I do, although drastically different, are so strikingly similar. Much like a fighter, actors have some excuses and scapegoats we use to camoulflage things we aren't happy with. A fighter gets bad coaching, an actor gets bad, little or no directing. Not enough notice before the fight/shoot. Not in the best shape/not the best script, not the best promoter/agent, the list goes on. Dave and I find ourselves comparing our different industry's issues all the time. How we prepare, how we self-sabotage, the constant self-doubting, the egos, the necessary networking (ahem...verbal whoring), etc. We share the same frustration of the necessary hours of training, perfecting the craft, the long commutes, the never-ending disappointments, injuries, auditions, working and training for free, the hours/days/weeks away from each other.
We also know better than to ever ask the other why they continue to do this thing that seems to be so difficult. We know that we have each found the one thing that keeps us alive, keeps us moving, breathing. For all the sacrificing and the tears and the sleepless nights, we're better off following these dreams of ours than not.
By the way, I'm listening to Marina & The Diamonds and I think it's delicious!
There's the end of my first blog. So there.

4 comments:

  1. Sahna I freakin' love you and am ecstatic that you started a blog. Because now I can blog stalk you. No really - you write very well and this will be fun! LOVE YOU XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog Stalk! I love that term! Thanks, Pookie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to both you and Dave. I hope both of you have an awesome night and come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goddamn it, Disco. I just looked up Marina & The Diamonds on iTunes. Thanks for the new music addiction, bitch.

    ReplyDelete